Monday, February 8, 2010

Is your child struggling in school?

If your child is failing in school and think that he/she needs Special Education Assistance and you're told that they can't get it that's because ODD is a behavioral disorder and not an emotional one. This is according to the Federal guidelines for Special Education Classification and Services. Click Here for more info on IDEA. Special Education Services require an emotional diagnoses. Eligibility is often met when it is determined that a child meets both emotional and behavioral criteria for placement and services through Special Education. If your child does not qualify, Section 504 can be used. Click Here for info on Section 504 and what it is. Other alternatives such as this are sometimes difficult to implement because they are not funded. In order to receive services under Section 504, a child must first be determined to have a disability that substantially limits one or more major life functions, including education, learning, and behavior. You can submit a written request to your childs school and ask for an evaluation. Asking for help for your childs education and helping them learn and do better in school is one way that you can take a stand for their future. Some children, like mine, have a hard time in school, not because they don't try, but because they have something standing in their way.


  1. Trista - great blog and information. I have a son, 18 now, who has suffered from ODD I think most of his life but we never got any help. He is extremely intelligent but dropped out of school and is struggling horridly now. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

  2. Thank you Faith. My daughter is out of control most of the time and it is so hard. Good kuck to you. I have a 19 year old son with severe ADHD, but not ODD. It is struggle as a parent isn't it?